Looking smart is easy when experts design for you. Askgraphics.com

go for custom blog design at Affordable price.

Read More

Opera singer Luciano Pavarotti hospitalized

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 20-11-2018

Friday, August 10, 2007Luciano Pavarotti, 71, a world-famous opera singer has been admitted to the hospital due to a high fever. The cause of the fever is currently unknown, however some reports say that he is being treated for pneumonia. His condition is being reported as stable.

“He [Pavarotti] is currently under observation and his condition is satisfactory,” said a spokesman at the Modena University Polyclinic in Modena, Italy. He is reportedly being treated in the hospital’s cancer ward and hallways have been blocked off and are being protected by private guards.

Pavarotti was admitted on Wednesday for observation, and the hospital states that he could be released “in the next few days.” He was on vacation in Pesaro, staying at one of his homes when he fell ill.

Pavarotti had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and in 2006 underwent surgery to remove a cancerous mass. According to Nicoletta Mantovani, Pavarotti’s wife, he has also been receiving radiation treatments.

“I can now say he is doing well. He’s reacting well to a fifth cycle of radiotherapy. He’s fighting like a lion and he has never lost his heart, also because a family he adores is by his side,” said Mantovani.

Ontario college teachers begin strike

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 19-11-2018

Tuesday, March 7, 2006

All across the Canadian province of Ontario, college teachers have gone on strike, leaving more than 150,000 students in 24 colleges without classes.

The Ontario Public Service Employees Union rejected the final offer from college management, after negotiations at the Delta Chelsea Hotel in downtown Toronto.

This strike comes just a month before many student’s scheduled graduations. If courses are extended into the summer, to compensate for lost school time, students’ ability to maintain jobs to pay for their education would be severely limited.

“A prolonged strike would not only affect college students, but also have a ripple affect on the Ontario economy and workforce. Potential employers are expecting 44,000 new graduates and 100,000 returning students to enter the workforce this May, families have made summer plans, and some seasonal businesses may experience a significant loss if the school year does not finish on time,” says Tyler Charlebois, Director of Advocacy for the College Student Alliance. “I hope for the sake of Ontario, the provincial government takes this situation as seriously as we are and takes action as necessary.”

OPSEU was asking for more teachers, smaller classes, and more faculty time for students. A strike vote was 80.4% in favour of action. Humber had the least support for the strike, with only 67.0%, followed by St. Lawrence with 67.7%. St. Clair, Boréal, Centennial, and Sault all had more than 90% support.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia CEO apologies for financial planning scandal

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 19-11-2018

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Ian Narev, the CEO of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, this morning “unreservedly” apologised to clients who lost money in a scandal involving the bank’s financial planning services arm.

Last week, a Senate enquiry found financial advisers from the Commonwealth Bank had made high-risk investments of clients’ money without the clients’ permission, resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars lost. The Senate enquiry called for a Royal Commission into the bank, and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).

Mr Narev stated the bank’s performance in providing financial advice was “unacceptable”, and the bank was launching a scheme to compensate clients who lost money due to the planners’ actions.

In a statement Mr Narev said, “Poor advice provided by some of our advisers between 2003 and 2012 caused financial loss and distress and I am truly sorry for that. […] There have been changes in management, structure and culture. We have also invested in new systems, implemented new processes, enhanced adviser supervision and improved training.”

An investigation by Fairfax Media instigated the Senate inquiry into the Commonwealth Bank’s financial planning division and ASIC.

Whistleblower Jeff Morris, who reported the misconduct of the bank to ASIC six years ago, said in an article for The Sydney Morning Herald that neither the bank nor ASIC should be in control of the compensation program.

Polish drug company Jelfa ordered to shut-down over mislabelled drugs

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 18-11-2018

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Polish Prime Minister Jaros?aw Kaczy?ski has ordered the pharmaceutical company Jelfa to halt production following revelations that Jelfa had placed mislabelled medication on the market, whose use could be potentially fatal.

Jelfa distributed vials labelled as Corhydron, a hydrocortisone used to treat allergies and inflammation, but in fact containing Suxamethonium chloride, a drug normally used to cause muscle paralysis during emergency surgery.

The Health Ministry has appealed to people suffering from asthma or allergies to check their medication and return any Corhydron ampoules they possess to the pharmacy.

Polskie Radio reports that the mislabelling was discovered a month ago, but Jelfa and the Polish Health ministry did not inform of the problem.

Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski ordered Jelfa to halt production until it can assure the Polish Government that it can properly manage its production.

The Polish Outlook reports that that drug companies in Poland were operating unregulated since December, 2005 as the regulations has expired. The government was putting in place new regulations.

The owner of Jelfa is AB Sanitas, the largest drug producer in neighbouring Lithuania. The shut-down has been questioned by the Lithuanian Prime Minister Gediminas Kirkilas, who expressed concern over the situation and said that he wants to try to settle the issue diplomatically.

Western Australian economy at crisis point say builders

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 18-11-2018

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Western Australian Master Builders Association (MBA) yesterday demanded the Carpenter Government call an emergency cabinet meeting to avoid a “state of emergency” over the energy crisis gripping WA. A MBA spokesperson said that hundreds of workers have already been stood down, many without pay, and that the cost of building material is soaring.

The Minister for Energy, Fran Logan has admitted that the gas shortage caused by Tuesday’s fire is damaging the economy as mining, manufacturing and construction industries wind back operations. Western Australia’s two major brick producing companies have shut operations and Wesbeam’s $A100 million Neerabup pine production facility has been closed, their 130 employees have been stood down.

Wesbeam chief executive James Malone said, “It’s an industrial tsunami in my view. It’s a little ripple that has very quickly had a huge multiplying effect on the whole community”.

Michael McLean, Master Building Association director said “It’s a worst-nightmare scenario, and not one we could have imagined in our wildest dreams,” building supplies are expected to start running out by the middle of next week.

Premier Carpenter has announced a meeting of ministers and industry representatives to take place on Sunday to discuss solutions to the growing crisis. Tim Wall, managing director of Apache Corporation has said Apache is conducting a worldwide search for the parts need to repair the pipeline.

Major mining companies and Apache partners BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto have already reported they are suffering with the loss of gas supply; the Chamber of Minerals and Energy has talked down the effect saying that they don’t expect the crisis to take the heat off the booming mining industry.

Opposition leader Troy Buswell has describe the performance of Fran Logan as “absolutely dismal” noting that Mr Logan had experienced a similar incident in January this year, when a fire at Woodsides Karratha operations had a similar effect.

Two slain in knife attack at Swedish IKEA furniture retailer

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 17-11-2018

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Two people were killed yesterday afternoon and another seriously injured in Västerås, Sweden. The injured man is considered a suspect in the knife attack and was arrested in hospital. Another man was arrested at the scene, which was an IKEA furniture retailer. According to police, the two fatalities do not have any obvious connection to the suspects, but did know each other. The motive is, thus far, unknown.

Police were called to the scene at 13:00 local time and found three stab victims. Initially, all three were considered victims, but the status of one has been changed to suspect. The other two, a man and a woman, subsequently died from their wounds. Police have said CCTV is helping in the investigation. Local newspaper Vestmanlands Läns Tidning (VLT) has reportedly posted footage of one of the suspects being tackled by police.

VLT has further claimed to have identified the two victims as a mother and son, aged 55 and 28 respectively. According to the paper, the victims were not local residents, but did have a connection with Västerås, where they were vacationing at the time of the attack, which a police spokesperson has called “an act of madness” ((sv))Swedish language: ?En galen händelse.

“This is the worst working day of my life” ((sv))Swedish language: ?Det är den värsta arbetsdagen i mitt liv, said Mattias Johansson, the store manager of IKEA in Västerås, to Sveriges Television. IKEA spokesperson Anna Pilkrona-Godden told BBC News, “Our thoughts are with those affected,” and said the store is closed for the time being.

Västerås is in central Sweden, approximately 115 km (70 miles) west from the capital Stockholm. The population is roughly 110 thousand.

Multiple Advantages Of Concrete Construction

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Home Builder | Posted on 17-11-2018

Submitted by: Maureen Leonards

Look around you. Majority of the homes you will see are concrete homes. There are lots of reasons why many homeowners choose to construct their homes on concrete materials.

Multiple Advantages of Concrete Construction

If you are deeply contemplating why your relatives or perhaps your friends have chosen building their homes with the use of concrete materials, you have come to the right place. By taking time to read the rest of the article, you will be informed of the advantages of concrete construction that millions of homeowners around the globe are enjoying.

1. Concrete withstands the extremities of weather.

One of the primary benefits that many homeowners like about concrete structures is their capacity to withstand extreme weather conditions that bring outrageous pouring of rain water such as thunderstorms and cyclones.

2. Concrete materials have the capacity to hamper the spread of fire.

YouTube Preview Image

According to construction experts, the concrete is the most effective material when it comes to the retardation of fire spread. Because the components of concrete are non combustible, it becomes somehow difficult for fire to spread on adjacent materials, thus the damages are reduced.

3. Concrete is not suitable as habitat of insects.

One problem that is commonly associated with construction materials is the infestation of insects. For instance, wood is a very potent target of ants and termites to create their colonies. With concrete, rest assured that any social insect would not be able to digest its components for them to create their habitats.

4. It has the capacity to reduce water damage.

Because of its compactness, it has the capacity to lessen water penetration, thereby reducing possible damages that may occur.

5. It has the ability to minimize noise and sound.

Attributed to its solid build, rigidity, and compactness concrete is considered as a material that has the capacity to reduce the penetration of sound. Thus, homes made of concrete are generally quieter.

6. Concrete enables a handful of different aesthetic forms.

Aside from providing safety and security, concrete also provides the necessary style and beauty to any home where it is used. There are various concrete finishes that can be done to make concrete more attractive to the eyes. Popular examples are staining, stamping, and etching.

7. Concrete paves way for more savings.

Concrete structures are easy to clean and maintain. This means fewer costs on the retention and preservation of its beauty. You also do not need to spend on termite treatment.

These are just seven of the multitude of advantages that you ought to reap when you enforce concrete construction for your home. Many homeowners have reaped these benefits. Across the globe, you will see thousands of concrete homes exhibiting different styles and themes. Despite differences in appearance, their owners are satisfied with its strength and beauty providing their families with a secured shelter even weather conditions are good or bad.

If you are a resident of Brisbane and would like to reap the benefits of a house constructed with concrete materials, it is worthy contracting the services of concrete builders. Their expertise will assure you of a sturdy, strong, safe, and beautiful concrete house.

About the Author: Maureen Leonards maintains a blog about home improvement with primary focus on concrete building. The blog provides various tips and advices on finding reliable

builders

that offer services and fixes on

gutters,

decks, and other concrete structures.

Source:

isnare.com

Permanent Link:

isnare.com/?aid=1146348&ca=Home+Management

US Federal deficit reaches record high of $455 billion

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 16-11-2018

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The United States 2008 federal deficit has reached a record high, US$454.8 billion—more than double last year’s deficit. Financial experts believe that next year, the deficit will reach over $700 billion, while the National Debt Clock has recently run out of digits to record over $10 trillion in national debt.

The deficit is now equivalent to 3.2% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the United States, with the government’s total income being 17.8% of GDP, and total outlays being equivalent to 21% of GDP.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson blamed the deficit on the housing market, related markets, and slow growth. He said the news would “reinforce the need to not only address short-term challenges, but pursue policies that promote economic growth and fiscal responsibility, and address entitlement reform”.

Democrats like Senator Kent Conrad, however, placed the blame on “President Bush’s failed policies“. “The reality is that the next president will be inheriting a fiscal and economic mess of historic proportions,” said Conrad, adding that “it will take years to dig our way out”.

Another Democrat, House Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt, also blamed the Bush administration. “The eight years of this administration will include the five biggest budget deficits in history,” he said. “The resulting debt will be passed to our children and grandchildren.”

Jim Nussle, director of the Office of Management and Budget said that he believes that the deficit will start to decline. “The bipartisan stimulus bill and the slow economy are the primary reasons for the increase in deficit as reflected in this year’s budget results. This increase reinforces the need to adopt and maintain policies that promote economic growth and fiscal responsibility, including entitlement reform and pro-growth tax policies. I am confident the economy can return to stronger growth with a declining deficit—after working through current challenges if Congress limits wasteful and excessive spending.”

Son of Illinois Senate President charged with driving under the influence

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 14-11-2018

Monday, April 19, 2010

The son of Illinois Senate President John Cullerton allegedly drove under the influence (DUI) early Sunday morning while using a state-funded vehicle. Local police report that 26-year-old Garritt M. Cullerton was pulled over in downtown Chicago shortly after midnight and registered a blood alcohol level of .188, more than twice the legal limit of .08.

Chicago police spokeswoman Antoinette Ursitti told the local press that Cullerton has been charged with “DUI, negligent driving and improper lane usage.” He is to appear in court on May 26. Senator Cullerton’s office confirmed that his son was driving a 2009 Ford Escape registered to the state Senate, and added that “the Senate President is disappointed that this incident occurred and takes this matter very seriously. He will work to ensure that this does not occur in the future.”

John Cullerton in 2008 sponsored legislation that requires DUI offenders to prove that they are sober by blowing into an electronic device every time they want to start the car. One of the strictest in the country, this law primarily targets first-time offenders.

Snow hits southern parts of Norway

0

Posted by Admin | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on 13-11-2018

Friday, February 23, 2007

This article features in a News Brief from Audio Wikinews:

A major snowfall has disrupted transport in Norway this week. Several roads and all railway services have been reported as closed due to the heavy snowfall, and meteorologists have recommended that people try to stay at home if possible. Snow storms are also causing problems in other parts of Southern Scandinavia, such as Denmark and Southern Sweden.

In Norway, the E-18, the highway from Kristiansand and eastwards have been closed after several accidents, which according to the local police primarily was the result of truck drivers not having prepared for the heavy snow and getting stuck.

Several cars got stuck as a result of this, with some motorists being stuck from 3.30 pm Wednesday until Thursday morning. The local Red Cross cooperated with the police in getting food and gasoline out to the stuck drivers, and also evacuated a bus full of senior citizens who had been out on an excursion.

Regional bus and rail services have been canceled for most of Wednesday and Thursday from Kristiansand and eastwards, and in Kristiansand and nearby areas in the southern regions of Norway the heavy snowfall also made local traffic slow with major disruptions and delays.

According to the regional newspaper Fædrelandsvennen, it is expected that there will be about 100 cm more snowfall on Friday alone, with Wednesday and Thursday having resulted in 50 cm so far.